You work in one of several agile domains within the IT department.
As a scrum master you are responsible for promoting the scrum framework and for ensuring that the teams live the agile values and principles. Your challenge is to explain and to promote the "agile mind-set" and to put in place agile best practices.
Role & Responsibilities:
- You remove the team's impediments: as fast as you can you may act on impediments that may block one or more people from the team to progress in their work. That may imply interactions with other teams, escalations, persuasion and building bridges of collaboration. If there is one action that will make you a successful scrum master it will be this one.
- You facilitate Scrum Ceremonies: the challenge is in the facilitation where you need to hold the space for the team to have the right outcome. Keeping the discipline of the ceremonies will be one of your priorities namely:
- Sprint Planning: Teams plan and agree the work to be performed the following 2 weeks.
- Grooming: One or two sessions a week when the teams clarify the user stories with the product owner.
- Demo: The team shows to stakeholders the working software they have produced last two weeks.
- Retrospective: The team inspect the last two weeks of work in the human operational and technical aspects and detects actions that can be performed in order to improve work next sprint.
- You protect the team from external interference as there are on a daily basis many sources of interference that may happen such as new requests, non-prioritised tasks that are popping up, people getting stuck in endless alignment sessions,... The challenge is to keep the team focused on the agreed tasks and 'organise' the way how to tackle requests in the team's backlog.