Janssen Research & Development, a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientific Director in Discovery Chemistry, for our site in Beerse, in Belgium.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/
) for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The newly formed Global Discovery Chemistry organization within Discovery Sciences is committed to the delivery of high quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Director, Discovery Chemistry. This position will be based at our campus in Beerse, near Antwerp Belgium.
This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities to deliver differentiated clinical candidates to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold (DAS and PAS) strategy. Using a mix of internal and external resources, this Director level role will partner with key stakeholders in the Therapeutic Areas and other internal groups, represent medicinal chemistry and lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules. Responsibilities of the Director will include:
- As a project leader, drive and direct medicinal chemistry functions within discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other relevant functions
- Providing leadership to a group of medicinal chemists and be accountable for coaching and developing the local talent base within the regional discovery chemistry organization
- This role will influence across global chemistry and contribute to the scientific direction of the regional discovery chemistry organization
- Contribute to managing and delivering the portfolio
- Work with key CRO partners to develop the relationship between the partner and Janssen to ensure efficient support for project
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities.
- Provide chemistry drug discovery insights and objective assessment(s) to various stakeholders including colleagues in Discovery Sciences, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas.
- In collaboration with key contacts within the therapy areas, identify opportunities for new projects to enter the portfolio
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Chemistry & TA leadership