PPD is currently recruiting for a Histotechnologist to join our Central Laboratory in Zaventem, Brussels. The Histotechnologist will be responsible for the daily operations of the lab to include grossing, tissue processing, embedding, Microtomy, H&E, special stains, IHC stains, whole slide scanning, and any other routine anatomic pathology techniques. The Histotechnologist will document daily updates on the maintenance logs. Responsible for operational tasks as assigned by the section supervisor. Responsible for the new assay and testing platform validations as assigned by the section supervisor. Assists with AP projects and SOP development as assigned by the section supervisor.
Preferably, the right candidate should have experience in screening IHC control slides for QC purposes; as well as grossing and preparing histology samples for supplemental testing such as flow cytometry, cytogenetics, FISH, PCR, etc. Experience in cytology preferred.
• Performs gross examination of received samples;
• Routine processing, embedding, and microtomy;
• Staining - H&E, Special Stains, and Immunohistochemistry;
• Whole slide scanning;
• Additional operational tasks as assigned by section supervisor;
• Control slide screening - IHC included;
• Validations as assigned by section supervisor;
• SOP development and projects;
• Administrative duties.
• Bachelor's degree or educational equivalent in medical technology or histotechnology and 2+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience in histotechnology;
• Applicable certifications and licenses as required by country, state, and/or other regulatory bodies;
• Good knowledge of the GCP, GLP and other regulatory agency standards used in the area of responsibility;
• Knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling;
• Knowledge of laboratory equipment, instrumentation and terminology used in the area of responsibility;
• Basic computer skills and ability to maintain effective reporting procedures and control workflow;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Excellent critical thinking skills to support quality decision-making;
• Good time management, planning, and organizational skills;
• Good written and oral communication skills;
• Good cooperative and collaborative skills;
• Ability to work well in a team environment;
• Ability to retain knowledge in various laboratory units and train new employees;
• Ability to work without close supervision;
• Ability to adapt to changes in workflow, unusual circumstances, and high pressure and time sensitive environments.
What we offer:
PPD offers a benefits package that includes among others, a comprehensive health plan, retirement plans, and other incentives. At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. It's not just talk - our award winning training programs speak for themselves!