The business controller is someone who uses financial analysis to facilitate change towards improved performance by working closely with, or providing a service to, a number of different business units or a business cluster.
He/she provides targeted strategic insights across the business units based on analysis of financial,operational, performance metrics, industry dynamics, macro-economic trends and the competitor landscape.
The responsibilities of a business controller include:
- Improving the impact, and understanding, of financial reporting on business performance
- Providing analysis and delivering insight that links financial reports to business strategies
- Providing effective procedures, or initiating change, to ensure key operational, commercial and financial targets are delivered
- Building partnerships and maintaining strong relationships with all senior managers and their teams
- More specifically in our organisation :
- He/She contributes to the monthly closing process and produces the analysis that allows the business and finance to understand the real level of performance, the levers for improving, the risks and their potential mitigation. The finance BP particularly monitors, together with the business, the performance of the key projects sold to our customers. He/she is a compliance reference in matter of revenue recognition, and contract/project accounting matters.
- He/She contributes to the overall quarterly group forecast, and annual plan, supports the business in building solid predictions, proposes ways of improvements, serves as communication agent between the finance organisation and the business units.
- He/she is an essential actor of the improvement of the financial maturity of the business management, including facilitating problem solving session, educating managers,…