Give your best to better energy and make the commitment with Total. With over 500-plus professions in 130 countries, we offer high safety and environmental standards, strong ethical values, an innovation culture and wide-ranging career development. Be part of the global team whose mission is already shared by 100,000 employees: to make energy better each and every day.
In a world in constant evolution, the Research & Development department of the Refining Chemistry division identifies and develops innovative processes and materials. More than 300 highly-skilled, international researchers work daily in these topics in two centers (France and Belgium), scaling up from idea to industrial production.
Reinforcing the use of natural gas and bio-sourced raw materials, thus reducing CO2 emissions, optimizing the utilization of our industrial sites, develop new polymers, make plastic recycling possible and profitable, or reduce the environmental footprint of our products are among the topics of our research programs.
Within this context, the applied Mathematics & Statistics Engineer is in charge of the technical support for applied mathematics and statistics to R&D Engineers (data models, statistical programing, machine learning, visualization of structured and non-structured data,…). She/he shares expertise and proposes development roadmaps aiming to boost the use of new tools and methodologies inside the organization.
Depending on the candidate, the position may be based at the Feluy Research and Technology Center (TRTF, Belgium) or the Gonfreville Technology and Research Center (TRTG, France). Travel between the two centers is expected.
Responsibilities & Duties:
* Provide technical support to applied mathematics, statistics and chemometrics to R&D engineers.
* Develop and deploy new models & ensure their efficient visualization.
* Implement new data science tools & methodologies/techniques within the team.
* Promote the use of mathematics/statistics within R&D RC.
* Coordinate applied mathematics/ statistics & data science training sessions.
* Perform technology watch & intelligence. Write report summaries & conclusions.
* Coordinate research projects & partnerships. Supervise PhDs and trainees in charge of applied mathematics projects.
* Represent Total through the publication of peer-reviewed papers in international top-tier journals and by participating in major international conferences.
* Train R&D engineers to statistical methodologies (effective communication to a broad audience).
* PhD in applied mathematics or closely related field.
* Strong skills in data integration, data modeling, data visualization (e.g. R, Python, statistics, Matlab, JMP…)
* Some background in R&D.
* Experience in multidisciplinary projects.
* Fluent English is required, French is a plus.
• Vous êtes en possession d'un diplôme universitaire ou d'une expérience équivalente.
• Vous venez d'obtenir votre diplôme ou vous possédez une première expérience réussie.
• Vous êtes bilingue Français/Néerlandais. La connaissance d'autres langues est un plus.
• Vous maîtrisez MS-Office