Legal Secretary (German Speaking preferred - 1 Year FTC) (2538)
Latham & Watkins, a global law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the world, is currently seeking a Legal Secretary to join our winning team, located in Brussels. The success of our firm is largely determined by our commitment to hire and develop the very best and brightest, creating a team that provides our clients with the highest quality of work and service. We are driven by our core values: respect, innovation and collaboration.
The Legal Secretary will receive a generous total compensation package. Eligible employees can participate in Latham's comprehensive benefit program including healthcare, life and disability insurance, pension contributions and more!.
As a Legal Secretary at Latham, you will contribute your expertise to performing a variety of secretarial duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature for attorneys. The Legal Secretary maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys, and staff at all times while accomplishing these and other critical functions:
- Performs complete secretarial functions for attorneys requiring knowledge of format, procedure, and specialized terminology.
- Manages attorney communications as requested (e.g., understands attorney preferences with regards to answering the phone/taking messages/using voice mail, instant messenger, responding to e-mail, processing postal mail, setting up videoconferences, etc.). Maintains and tracks schedules and calendars for attorneys.
- At attorneys' direction, prepares materials such as correspondence, documents, e-mails etc. Prints, scans, organizes, transcribes, and distributes documents upon request, and/or coordinates with copy department to arrange for copying, binding etc.
- Assists attorneys with new business intake (setting-up of new clients/matters).
- Arranges meetings and conference calls. May order meals, refreshments, and equipment as requested.
- Coordinates travel and manages out of office support for attorneys and/or clients in a cost-conscious manner. Updates attorneys concerning mail and phone messages while traveling.
- Processes and monitors attorney expense reimbursements, reconciles phone and BlackBerry charges, vendor bills, and check requests. Responsible for creating, editing, and processing bills in accordance with firm and client requirements.
- Organizes and consistently maintains attorney files in a timely manner (e.g., billing, expenses, client matter, etc.) according to firm standards.
- Greets and screens visitors, determines the nature of contact, and provides appropriate information. Assists visiting clients with secretarial support needs.
- Assists with special projects when necessary.
- Promotes effective work practices, works as a team member, and shows respect for co-workers.
As a Legal Secretary, you will be expected to apply your organizational and communication skills while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude. The successful candidate must have a High School Diploma; Bachelor's degree preferred and a strong amount relevant experience. The successful candidate must be fluent in English and preferably German (verbal and written); French or Dutch is a plus; possess well-developed and professional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with clients and staff at all organizational levels of the firm; ability to work in a team environment with a customer service focus; and strong organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and handle multiple deadlines. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by clicking the Apply Now link.
Latham & Watkins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and sustainability enables Latham & Watkins to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.